Saturday, November 7, 2009

my name and "as"

mcóx, mzocoxito, mzococucacu, gan, “kanser,” rene, and juan- these all represent who i am. my social assign or “official” name would be “juan.” but only those slave to the tradition that dictates that a name be absolute, as assigned by another (even a parent), will not understand when i say that “juan” is not “my” name. it is my father’s name. his name is “juan” as well but what i mean is that it is the name he chose to name me. my mom wanted charlie, rene, dominic, amoung others. those were “her” names. but my father ultimately chose my name and entered it into social record and absolutes when he wrote down and submitted my papers, my birth certificate. we are all relatively helpless to disobey these strong social conventions and ethics. especially since most of the general rules are actually well-enforced laws. this is a relative constant no matter where one is at in the world. we must give our children names, not temporary ones to later be solidified or chosen by the individual.
perhaps our social/physical evolution effects this behaviour of naming and assigning. it would make sense because so many people, the majority of the population, abides by this and even relishes and enjoys it. for someone of my perspective, however, it is nonsense. it makes no sense to follow without question. but not without having to question, but rather following the rhythms of the self. the rhythms include instinct and emotion, knowledge and intelligence, wisdom, context and necessity, etc. thinking through to conclusion or “eventuality,” common sense, reason, presents a “path” that serves the individual. and this is not “self centered” or “selfish” because the balanced individual acknowledges and has interaction with those around them. therefore the “path of the individual” includes the individual’s environment or context and all that is contained within. this includes other people for example.
for me, this means not necessarily following without question. for most, it seems, that following without much questioning or thought is what their rhythms are. i can only imagine the probable demise of the human species if most of the population were made up of people like myself. that is why while i feel a lot of nonsense from most people, i still understand their thinking and behaviour because they are the main group of the human species continuing our evolution and survival. in the end it is not so much nonsense is it? just a matter of perspective.
my name is whatever the individual decides. not the group. the group is made of individuals, and at some point it is up to the individual to contribute their decision or action to the group (however big the group may be). the individual may hide or be overshadowed in the group but the group is no group without the individual(s).
in this case my name is not “my” name but the individual’s name they decide to assign or label me with. “my” name(s) are my own. they will change by my own dynamic and its rhythms and movements. i will convey them in communication with other people. and this will continue despite the type of reception my names have or the way they may be used.
names are tools. they are forms to assist function and provide result. communication can be said to be the necessary result. but what kind of communication? what goals are involved, what themes, what directions... a word or idea like “communication” is very generic and broad. and that is good. it is a good word to start with. and with each human to human relationship we bond and define the nuances in meaning.

generally, if our attractions are strong enough then so too will be the bonds formed. the spectrum extremes of both bond and separation are never guaranteed, absolute, certain, static, or permanent. existence fluctuates. it is a changing form much like (and reflected/indicated by) our own organic dynamic.

me “as” [enter your label for me here]

“ganasgan.” gan as gan. ganas gan.

No comments:

Post a Comment